- M. Ed in Curriculum and Instruction( With a concentration in mathematics education), Virginia Commonwealth University
- B. S. in Elementary Education, Virginia Commonwealth University
My current research is primarily informed by the following questions:
- How do practicum experiences help to prepare pre-service teachers in becoming strong 1st year teachers?
- What’s different about teaching an urban setting?
- What do elementary pre-service teachers need to know about being a strong mathematics teacher?
- Elementary K-5 teacher for more than 14 years
- Adjunct professor at Randolph Macon College for 14 years
- Adjunct professor at VCU for 14 years before joining full-time
- Math coach for six years
- Book chapter in “The Mathematics Specialist Handbook,” published by NCTM in 2014
- Book review of “It’s Elementary: A Parent’s Guide to K-5 Mathematics,” by Whitenack, Cavey and Henney in 2015
I am a teacher, and a teacher of teachers. I love being a VCU professor and helping students realize their potential. My role is to support them along their journey as they learn to be the teacher they are meant to be. I truly enjoy working with pre-service teachers. They are so excited and enthusiastic about the future.