Virginia Commonwealth University has established a six-course, graduate-level online certificate in adult literacy. The program covers foundations of literacy, adult learning theory, assessment and instruction, and curriculum design. The six three-credit courses are offered sequentially using the Blackboard online platform.Upon successful completion of the program:
- Participants earn 18 graduate credits and a certificate from VCU.
- Participants in possession of a Virginia State teacher’s license may apply for an endorsement in adult education from the Virginia State Department of Education as defined by Virginia Licensure Regulations of School Personnel, Section 8VAC20-22-200, Adult Education.
- Participants that have completed Level One and Level Two of the Virginia Adult Education Certification Program through the Virginia Adult Learning Resource Center will earn Level Three certification.
The online format is designed to maintain a high degree of rigor while expanding accessibility to as wide an audience as possible. The program provides an extensive and intensive opportunity for practitioners to learn and apply knowledge and skills necessary to become master teachers of adult literacy learners. Throughout the program, nationally renowned leaders from the field provide systematic guidance and feedback needed for participants to reflect critically and to mature as educators in the field of adult literacy.
Courses are offered one per semester, three per year (including summer), for a total of six consecutive semesters. To be eligible, participants must possess a bachelor’s degree (not necessarily in the field of education); a teaching license is NOT required.
To help you plan your program participation, the courses in the series are:
- ADLT 607 – Writing Instruction for Adult Learners (Spring 2017 — Jan. 16 to May 1)
- ADLT 614 – Curriculum Development for Adult Educators (Summer 2017 — May 22 to Aug. 14)
- ADLT 608 – Adult Education Practicum (Fall 2017 — exact dates TBA)
- ADLT 601 – The Adult Learner (Spring 2018 — exact dates TBA)
- READ 602 – Teaching Literacy to Adults (Summer 2018 — exact dates TBA)
- TEDU 681 – Investigations and Trends in Teaching: Numeracy Instruction for Adult Learners (Fall 2018 — exact dates TBA)
Registration for ADLT 607 – Writing Instruction for Adult Learners is now open
VCU has partnered with The Virginia Association for Adult and Continuing Education (VAACE) to offer this online program. VAACE serves as the off-campus registrar, and membership in VAACE is required to participate with the reduced tuition rate. Membership in VAACE includes membership in the Commission on Adult Basic Education as well — a $45 value. Annual membership in VAACE is $30, and should be included with the first course you take in the 2015-16 series.
To register (non-VCU employees)
Download and complete the Off-Campus Course Registration form and mail with full payment of $795 ($780 tuition + $15 processing fee) to:
Virginia Association for Adult and Continuing Education (VAACE)
Attn: Ms. Betsy Mathias, treasurer
6120 North Danford Street
Fredericksburg, VA 22407
If you are NOT yet a member of VAACE for the 2015-16 year, please also download and complete the VAACE membership form and mail with a separate payment of $30 to the VAACE address above.
Deadline for receipt of registration forms for ADLT 607 and payment (personal or certified check) is Jan. 6, 2017. Payment via credit card is not available at this time. Registration will not be processed without accompanying full payment.
Please note: If you are a first-time VCU student, you must also complete the Application for Virginia In-State Tuition form [PDF], and submit it with your registration.
To register (VCU full-time faculty and classified staff only)
If you are eligible, download and fill out the Tuition Waiver Application and Fact Sheet form (signatures required). Once completed, submit the form to:
VCU Student Accounting
P.O. Box 843036 (for campus mail)
Harris Hall, First Floor
1015 Floyd Avenue
Richmond, VA 23284
In addition to submitting the tuition waiver:
- If you have access to VCU eServices, register by searching for "ADLT 607 – Writing Instruction for Adult Learners"
- If you are enrolled in the School of Education's M.Ed. in adult learning program, submit a request for permission to enroll from Robin Hurst, Ed.D., at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Deadline for receipt of registration form is Jan. 6, 2017.
For further information, please contact:
Assistant manager, VALRC
Phone: (804) 828-7537
Dr. William R. Muth
Program coordinator and associate professor, adult and adolescent literacy at VCU
Phone: (804) 828-8768