2019-2024 Strategic Plan
Strategic Plan Year 2 (2020-21) Summary
The Strategic Planning and Implementation Committee articulated 46 strategies aimed at scaffolding the School of Education toward meeting the Strategic Plan goals and 66 outcome measures to support transparent reporting and monitoring toward goal achievement.
Theme I: Student Success
- VCU SOE will provide comprehensive resources to support students as adult learners and foster a climate of holistic student success.
- VCU SOE will encourage learning excellence through exceptional multi-modal and interdisciplinary learning experiences.
- VCU SOE will engage in collaborative partnerships that prepare educators to meet the needs of modern learners while cultivating/advancing community growth.
Theme II: National Prominence
- Pursue national prominence and differentiate from other strategic planning efforts, recognizing that national prominence is determined by external evaluations of SOE (ex. Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education, U.S. News & World Report, and The Center for Measuring University Performance).
- Increase federal and foundation research grants awarded to VCU SOE.
- Elevate the status of SOE within the VCU research community.
- Systematically plan for strategic school-wide expansion to direct programs to national prominence.
- Achieve and maintain national accreditation (e.g., CAEP, CACREP) for all licensure programs.
Theme III: Collective Urban and Regional Transformation
- Advance innovations for high quality education and workforce development to meet the challenges of schools and communities that serve historically marginalized individuals.
- Use evidence-based practices to evaluate out-of-school-time programming and collaborate with regional schools and community partners to enhance program quality and bring new innovative out-of-school-time activities to the region.
- Produce new, highly-trained and high-quality teachers, counselors, school administrators and other professionals prepared to work with diverse student populations and more representative of the racial and ethnic diversity of their communities.
Theme IV: Diversity Driving Excellence
- Remediate implicit bias within VCU SOE to build a diverse and inclusive community among faculty, staff, students, and community partners.
- Increase the number of historically underrepresented minority faculty in VCU SOE.
- Increase the number of historically underrepresented minority students in VCU SOE.
- Produce graduates who are prepared for success and impact in schools and communities serving historically marginalized individuals.