Scholars Program Application & Criteria
Applications for the Ruth Harris Scholars program typically open in January of each year and have a March deadline. Past application requirements are provided below.
As a part of this Program, the Virginia Department of Education collaborates with VCU teacher education students (i.e., special education, elementary or secondary education) who are Ruth Harris Scholars to provide:
- 30-hour training (spring/summer) at no cost, provided by the Virginia Department of Education.
- 20-25 hours of tutoring under the supervision of Orton Gillingham certified classroom educators in the fall semester and receive a $500 stipend from T/TAC upon completion of Fall tutoring responsibilities
- 1,000 scholarship from the Ruth Harris endowment funds upon completing fall tutoring responsibilities
Interested students must be eligible for acceptance into Teacher Preparation (or already accepted) with at least 1 year remaining of coursework in the upcoming academic year
- Interest in reading instruction
- Minimum 3.0 GPA and in good academic standing
- Demonstrated leadership qualities
- Strong communication and interpersonal relations skills
- Commitment to advancing access, equity, and quality education for underrepresented learners within low-resource communities, including a commitment to addressing diversity, inclusion, social justice, and equity in education/special education
- Commitment to participate in all training dates
- Recommendation from a faculty member that addresses your leadership qualities, communication and interpersonal skills, promise for classroom instruction, and commitment to supporting and advancing equity in education.