Professional Staff Council
The School of Education’s Professional Staff Council is a proactive organization made up of all classified employees (full- or part-time) within the school.
Among the council’s primary responsibilities is to create a bridge of information between the school’s administration, faculty and staff — encouraging communication and the sharing of ideas and best practices.
The Professional Staff Council is also committed to helping with the professional and personal growth of its members, the enhancement of relationships within the School of Education and the support of lifelong learning.
Council meetings are held on a monthly basis, typically at 2 p.m. on the second Thursday of each month. All members are encouraged to attend these meetings, and to participate in all other events and professional development opportunities.
Professional Staff Council executive board
Elections for Professional Staff Council’s executive board are held every December. Officers serve a one-year term, with the exception of the chair-elect, whose term is two years.
The current officers for the Professional Staff Council are:
- Sandra Mazzoli, chair
- Courtney Walker, chair-elect
- Karen Williams, secretary
- Samantha Tansey, treasurer
In addition to the executive board, the Professional Staff Council is served by several steering committees. These committees include:
- Professional Development Committee: This committee oversees the selection process for professional development conferences, such as selecting two staff members to attend the Grace E. Harris Higher Ground Leadership Program and choosing 10 staff members to attend a one-day Grace E. Harris leadership conference held in January. It also hosts a one-day staff retreat geared toward professional growth and development.
- Staff Recognition Committee: This committee assists with developing award criteria for two staff awards presented at the School of Education faculty and staff appreciation banquet each spring.
- SOE for the Community Committee: This committee looks for community service opportunities, such as the Angel Tree project, that can serve as a productive bonding experience for staff (and faculty).
- Safety Awareness Committee: The Safety Awareness Committee develops and maintains a safety protocol and procedures handbook for the School of Education.
- Social Activities Committee: This committee looks for fun activities to do outside of work, aiming to help bring staff and faculty together in a relaxed environment. Previous outings include a lunch social at Richmond’s historic Jefferson Hotel and a VCU bowl-a-thon, held last February.
For more information about the Professional Staff Council, please contact:
Sandra J. Mazzoli
Professional Staff Council chair
Phone: (804) 827-2657