School of Education Strategic Plan
The School of Education is currently going through a comprehensive strategic planning process. This new strategic plan will move our vision for the school forward while connecting our path to the new VCU strategic plan (launching summer 18). Please visit this page for regular updates.
Save the date
Mission/vision/values workshop: (open to faculty, staff, students and community members)
- March 22, 9 a.m. - noon, Richmond Salons, VCU Student Commons, 907 Floyd Ave.
Register here to attend.
Notes from the listening sessions
Below are links to the notes from our three strategic planning listening sessions held earlier this year.
VCU School of Education Strategic Planning Committee
- Dr. Stephanie Bassett, Peter Paul Development Center
- Risha R. Berry, Ph.D., Office of the Dean
- Jason C. Chow, Ph.D., Counseling and Special Education Department
- Jared Crist, Ph.D student
- Katherine P. Dabney, Ph.D., Teaching and Learning Department
- Serra T. De Arment, Ph.D., Counseling and Special Education Department
- Tomika L. Ferguson, Ph.D., Educational Leadership Department
- Amanda Hall, Ph.D., Division of Community Engagement
- Danise Harmon, Office of Research and Faculty Development
- Mary A. Hermann, J.D., Ph.D., Counseling and Special Education Department
- Joan Rhodes, Ph.D., Teaching and Learning Department
- Kurt Stemhagen, Ph.D., Foundations of Education Department
- Leah Walker, Virginia Department of Education
We have identified some important readings that will be helpful to those participating in this process:
- Teacher Shortages in Virginia [PPTX], a recent presentation from Patty Pitts, assistant superintendent, Division of Teacher Education and Licensure, Virginia Department of Education;
- Responding to Educational Inequity: Addressing Race and Social Class Disparities to Increase Opportunities [PDF], a recent report from the HAAS Institute;
- Culturally Responsive Education: A Primer for Policy and Practice [PDF], a recent report from NYU's Metropolitan Center for Research on Equity and the Transformation of Schools;
- Southern Schools: More Than a Half-Century After the Civil Rights Revolution [PDF], a recent publication from the Center for Education and Civil Rights.