Certificate in Teaching
The Post-baccalaureate Certificate in Teaching program is designed for students with bachelor’s degrees in fields other than education that wish to become teachers in secondary schools and for whom a master’s degree is not a priority.
The certificate offers a choice of six different concentrations (biology, chemistry, English, History/social studies, mathematics and physics), and applicants must have a major or its equivalent in the concentration they wish to pursue.
Please note: The Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) may require additional courses beyond those provided in the certificate program to obtain a Virginia teaching license. Our School of Education initial licensure program is the Master's of Teaching program. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions.
Some concentrations of the Certificate in Teaching, such as the history/social studies education concentration and the secondary science concentrations (biology education, chemistry education and physics education), require extra coursework in order to teach in Virginia.
For more information about the additional requirements for these areas, please contact the concentration coordinator or select the appropriate link below:
- History/Social Studies Education Concentration additional coursework [PDF]
- Secondary Science Concentrations additional coursework [PDF]
To see the degree requirements for a specific program concentration, please click the appropriate VCU Bulletins link below:
- Degree requirements for the Biology Education Concentration
- Degree requirements for the Chemistry Education Concentration
- Degree requirements for the English Education Concentration
- Degree requirements for the History/Social Studies Education Concentration
- Degree requirements for the Mathematics Education Concentration
- Degree requirements for the Physics Education Concentration
Please keep in mind, however, that the exact course requirements may vary depending on when you matriculated into the program, so please consult your adviser or the program coordinator with any additional questions.
CONCENTRATIONS/VCU BULLETIN INFO
- Biology Education
- Chemistry Education
- English Education
- History/Social Studies Education
- Mathematics Education
- Physics Education
How to apply: Graduate application
Semester of entry: Fall, spring or summer
Application deadline: Feb. 1 for fall and summer admission, Oct. 1 for spring admission
- VCU Graduate School requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate discipline
- Written essay addressing your career interests
- Three letters of recommendation
- Transcripts from previous academic work
- Satisfactory scores on the GRE or MAT
The School of Education (SOE) degree programs that lead to professional licensure are designed to prepare students to meet the requirements for professional licensure in the Commonwealth of Virginia as outlined by the Virginia Department of Education (VDOE). The SOE has determined that the curriculum includes applicable educational prerequisites for the following professional licensure(s) and/or certification(s) as outlined on this page of our website.
Contact Dr. Rhodes for general inquiries.
Contact Dr. Edmondson for biology education, chemistry education, mathematics education and physics education concentration inquiries.
Contact Dr. Collin for English education concentration inquiries.
Contact Dr. Reich for history/social studies education concentration inquiries.