M.Ed. TESOL Concentration
According to the Virginia Department of Education, the drop-out rate for English language learners (ELL) was 25% in Virginia in 2020. In comparison, the drop-out rate for non-ELL students was only 3.22%. Through this fully online program, you can learn the essential skills, knowledge and experience to support multilingual learners.
- Courses in second language acquisition, assessment, and applied linguistics
- Applied research opportunities in collaboration with MERC’s English Learner Research and Evaluation team
- Implement an action research project during externship
- Collaborative three-credit internship to practice coaching skills
- Opportunities for international partnership engagement, placement, networking and experience
Current Virginia Teachers Interested in English Language Learners (ELL)
For those who already hold a Virginia teaching license, this program provides the knowledge needed for the TESOL Praxis exam, which is required in order to add an ESL endorsement to your teaching license. The program is designed for those wishing to develop their skills in working with multilingual learners in a variety of contexts including general education and content area classrooms, outside-of-school programs, and other settings.
Future TESOL/English Language Educators
The TESOL K-12 and Adult concentrations support professionals internationally who would like to learn and apply the critical skills to support English Language and Multi-language learners around the globe. From virtual tutoring to private international schools, the skill sets and pedagogy in this program help you prepare for roles with a diversity of educational settings.
CONCENTRATIONS/VCU BULLETIN INFO
How to apply: Graduate application
Semester of entry: Spring, summer or fall
Application deadline: Feb. 1 for fall and summer admission; Oct. 1 for spring admission. Extended deadline for summer and fall 2021: April 1.
Late applications will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis
Application checklist [PDF]
- General admission requirements of the VCU Graduate School
- Bachelor’s degree
- Three letters of recommendation addressing the student's potential for graduate study in education
- Statement of intent
- Transcripts of all previous college work
FOR MORE IN-DEPTH INFO
Please note: This is not a Virginia initial licensure program.