Post-master’s Certificate for Reading Specialist
The Post-master’s Certificate for Reading Specialist is designed for students who wish to gain state licensure as a reading specialist in kindergarten through high school settings.
Among other competencies, the program provides students with the skills needed to understand the reading language learning process, apply and adapt reading instructional strategies and to implement schoolwide developmental, creative and intervention reading programs.
In addition to the traditional face-to-face curriculum, the Certificate for Reading Specialist is now available online as well.
The Post-master’s Certificate for Reading Specialist requires a minimum of 24 total graduate credit hours:
Please keep in mind, however, that the exact course requirements may vary depending on when you matriculated into the program, so please consult your adviser or the program coordinator with any additional questions.
CONCENTRATION/VCU BULLETIN INFO
How to apply: Graduate application
Semester of entry: Spring, summer or fall
Application deadline: Feb. 1 for fall and summer admission, Oct. 1 for spring admission
- VCU Graduate School requirements
- Master’s degree in any specialty area related to education
- Active teacher license
- Have at least three years of teaching experience in a reading-related setting
- Written essay addressing your career interests
- Three letters of recommendation
- Transcripts from previous academic work
- Satisfactory GRE or MAT scores