Overview and Eligibility
The VCU SOE Pathways to Teaching: Career Switcher Program provides an efficient path to the classroom for many individuals interested in pursuing a career in PreK-12 education. In order to apply for admission into the program, candidates must complete the steps in the application process.
- Mathematics – Algebra I (add-on endorsement)
- Health and Physical Education PreK-12
- Foreign Languages PreK-12 (French, German, Spanish)
- English as a Second Language PreK-12
- Career and Technical Education – Business and Information Technology*
- Career and Technical Education – Marketing Education*
- Career and Technical Education – Technology Education*
- Career and Technical Education – Family and Consumer Sciences*
- Science – Biology
- Science – Chemistry
- Science – Earth Science
- Science – Physics
- History and Social Studies
- Computer Science
(*Industry certification required to be completed prior to recommendation for Level II.)
An individual seeking a provisional license through the VCU SOE Pathways to Teaching: Career Switcher Program must meet the following prerequisite requirements:
- Have a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university;
- Have at least three years of full-time work experience or its equivalent;
- Begin the process for taking VA Qualifying exams now to take, pass and submit the VA Qualifying exams (the Praxis for the subject area you would like to be endorsed in to teach and the VCLA) by July 31, 2020.
See Professional Teacher’s Assessment Requirements [Doc].
Praxis ETS Virginia Test Requirements
Find your licensure area below to determine which test you need to take and see the minimum qualifying score. To learn more about a specific test, click the test title. Once you know your test(s), find out how to register for Praxis tests and read the Praxis test retake policy.
Link to Praxis Virginia Test Requirements: https://www.ets.org/praxis/va/requirements/
Please see our testing page for resources for different exams.
Once all three of these prerequisites are completed, candidates will need to complete the full program application.