Counselor education programs
The Counselor Education program at Virginia Commonwealth University is committed to excellence in the initial preparation and continuing development of professionals in the counseling field.
Thanks to the university’s urban setting, the program provides graduate students with research-based professional studies and clinical experiences necessary for effective counseling, advocacy and leadership in diverse geographic and socioeconomic settings.
Specifically, the program prepares counselors with the specialized knowledge and skills required for placement in elementary, middle, and high schools, as well as postsecondary educational institutions in the Commonwealth of Virginia and throughout the nation.
The Counselor Education program at Virginia Commonwealth University is committed to excellence in the preparation and continuing development of professionals in counseling and counselor education. The program provides graduate students with research-based professional and clinical experiences necessary for effective counseling, supervision, teaching, advocacy and leadership in diverse settings.
- Students will obtain theoretical knowledge in the areas of individual and group counseling, human development, multicultural and career counseling that is grounded in research and reflective of current national and state standards.
- Students will demonstrate competency in counseling, assessment and consultation skills in pk-12 school and higher education settings.
- Students will demonstrate the knowledge and skills to be critical consumers of research in their roles as counselors.
- Students will develop and demonstrate advocacy and leadership skills through their professional development and extracurricular learning activities.
- Students will continue their personal and professional development by adhering to the professional ethical codes of professional counseling organizations and the counselor education program dispositions.
Connect with us
For more information about our program, please contact:
Philip B. Gnilka, Ph.D.
Assistant professor and Counselor Education program coordinator
Phone: (804) 828-1332
Find the Counselor Education program on Facebook