Michelle M. Schmitt, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Counseling and Special Education
- Ph.D. in counseling psychology, Virginia Commonwealth University
- M.S. in counseling psychology, Virginia Commonwealth University
- M.A. in counseling, Boston College
- B.A. in psychology and communication, Purdue University
- Awarded the School of Education’s Outstanding Community Engagement Award for Faculty in 2015
- Presented “Evidence-based Communication: Enlisting Motivational Interviewing Techniques for Engaging with Youth,” at the Virginia Wellness: Broadening Prevention Statewide Conference in Williamsburg, Va.
- Principle author of “The Virginia Educator’s Guide for Planning and Conducting School Emergency Drills”
- Co-created “Communicating with Teens: from Research to Practice” one-day workshops, held in Roanoke, Williamsburg, Wytheville and Fredericksburg, Va.