CAEP Annual Reporting Measures
The Educator Preparation Provider at VCU utilizes available data to understand completer impact on P-12 learning and development.
Annual principal evaluation of VCU completers on Virginia Performance Standard 7
Annual principal evaluation of VCU completers on Virginia Performance Standard 7 (i.e., The work of the teacher results in acceptable, measurable, and appropriate student academic progress.) provide a measure of impact. Teachers are evaluated on a four point scale (i.e., Exemplary, Proficient, Developing/Needs Improvement, Unacceptable). Learn more on the Virginia Department of Education website: http://www.doe.virginia.gov/teaching/performance_evaluation/guidelines_ups_eval_criteria_teachers.pdf.
- VCU Degree Program Completer Impact Standard 7 (2015-2016)
- VCU Degree Program Completer Impact Standard 7 (2018 Report)
Program completer examples of impact on student(s) learning or development
Data are not currently available for component 4.2. The Educator Preparation Provider at VCU is developing methods and procedures to support data collection and analysis of indicators of our completers’ teaching effectiveness. Data will be presented when available.
The Educator Preparation Provider at VCU utilizes results of the annual employer survey to understand the satisfaction with VCU preparation programs from those that employ recent graduates. The Employer Survey provides employers of initial licensure and advanced program completers the opportunity to indicate, based on their observations in the field, how well prepared Virginia Commonwealth University program completers are for their chosen profession. They are also solicited to offer feedback on strengths and weaknesses of the program in light of current needs in the employers’ classrooms and schools.
- Spring 2017 Initial Licensure Employer Survey
- Spring 2018 Initial Licensure Employer Survey
- Spring 2017 Reading Specialist Employer Survey
- Spring 2018 Reading Specialist Employer Survey (No data reported 2018 cycle)
- Spring 2017 Educational Leadership Employer Survey
- Spring 2018 Educational Leadership Employer Survey (No data reported 2018 cycle)
- Spring 2017 Counselor Education Employer Survey
- Spring 2018 Counselor Education Employer Survey
The Educator Preparation Provider at VCU monitors available employment milestones for program completers, including the number of VCU graduates who receive National Board Certification each year. National Board Certification is achieved upon successful completion of a voluntary assessment program designed to recognize effective and accomplished teachers who meet high standards based on what teachers should know and be able to do.
The Educator Preparation Provider at VCU utilizes results of the annual alumni survey to understand recent graduates’ satisfaction with their preparation program. The Alumni Survey provides program completers from initial licensure and advanced programs the opportunity to indicate how well they were prepared to enter their chosen profession and to offer feedback on their program to program faculty.
- Spring 2017 Initial Licensure Alumni Survey
- Spring 2018 Initial Licensure Alumni Survey
- Spring 2017 Reading Specialist Alumni Survey
- Spring 2018 Reading Specialist Alumni Survey
- Spring 2017 Educational Leadership Alumni Survey
- Spring 2018 Educational Leadership Alumni Survey
- Spring 2017 Counselor Education Alumni Survey
- Spring 2018 Counselor Education Alumni Survey
Masters Graduation Rates
Virginia Commonwealth University reports completion rates for masters programs using two metrics: 1) % Completed within major (i.e., the percent of students who earned a degree in the major they originally enrolled in) and 2) % Completed all majors (i.e., the percent of students who earned a degree in their enrolled major as well as outside the major they originally enrolled in).
Undergraduate Graduation Rates
Virginia Commonwealth University reports graduation rates for undergraduates by Academic Unit. VCU defines the graduation rate as, “The percentage of students in an entering cohort who have completed their degree by some specified number of semesters or years later. For freshmen beginning in baccalaureate degree programs, the graduation rate defined by the federal government is based on six years.”
- Biennial Report: SY2015-2017 Approved Teacher Education Programs Compliance - Accountability measurements 1 through 7
- Title II Report on the Quality of Teacher Preparation and States’ Requirements and Assessments for Initial Credentials: Virginia State Report
By federal law, all colleges and universities offering teacher education programs must annually report on a set of uniform data, including program requirements, admissions and completion data, and assessment pass rates.
Data on VCU program completer employment within Virginia Public Schools
Using source data from the Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) Teacher Licensure Application and Annual Instructional Personnel (IPAL) Data Collection, the VDOE shares employment data with education preparation providers. Specifically, these data detail employment placement information for those VCU program completers employed in a Virginia public school at the time of reporting.
- Number and Percent of 2014-2016 VCU EPP Program Completers Employed in Virginia Public Schools (Source Date: 10/1/2016) [PDF]
- Number of 2015-2017 VCU EPP Program Completers Employed in Virginia Public Schools (Source Data: 10/1/2017)
- Number and percent of 2014-2017 VCU EPP Program Completers Employed in Virginia Public Schools by School Title I Status (Source Dates: 10/1/2016 and 10/1/2017)
State Council for Higher Education in Virginia (SCHEV) Known Student Debt at Graduation
The State Council for Higher Education in Virginia (SCHEV) reports known student debt at graduation for degree programs. SCHEV notes the following, “Student borrowing at graduation, excludes PLUS loans, in five-year rollups. Includes all known institutionally-processed borrowing occurring at all public and nonprofit institutions in Virginia. Debt accrued outside Virginia in prior postsecondary activity is not available.”
To view degree program level data, select the Reporting Year and Virginia Commonwealth University as the Institution. Then select the Degree Level and Program of interest.
State Council for Higher Education in Virginia (SCHEV) Wage Outcome of Graduates 18 months Post-Completion
The State Council for Higher Education in Virginia (SCHEV) reports wage outcomes data for degree programs. These data include information on the percentage of graduates receiving full-time or part-time wages and the percentage of graduates enrolled in further education at a higher level. SCHEV articulates the limits of these data: "The most important limit to understand is that these short-term measures of outcomes are not meaningful for evaluating the effectiveness of institutions or programs. These are not measures of employment rates, nor they comparable to the so-called Gainful Employment metrics produced by the US Department of Education. These measure are meant to inform readers of the outcomes of graduates in the near-term following degree completion and represent individual behavior and local economies more than any other factor." (SCHEV, 2018, http://research.schev.edu/eom/opportunity02_report.asp, retrieved: March 2, 2018).
To view degree program level data, select the Reporting Year and Virginia Commonwealth University as the Institution.
Teaching in Virginia: Education Workforce Data & Reports
The Teacher Salary Report details teacher salaries in Virginia and by school division and region in Virginia. Virginia Department of Education annually collects this information from school divisions and reports to the Governor and the Chairmen of the Senate Finance and House Appropriations Committees.