SOE faculty and staff recognized at annual awards celebration
2021 Annual Appreciation and Awards Ceremony honors nine retirees and hands out several new awards
Wednesday, May 13, 2021
Congratulations to the award winners recognized at our annual VCU School of Education Faculty and Staff Appreciation Ceremony, held virtually on May 12. Thanks also to all SOE faculty and staff for making the 2020-2021 academic year – with all of the continued challenges due to the pandemic – so productive and successful!
Below is a list of the award recipients.
- Distinguished Junior Faculty: Alison C. Koenka, Ph.D.
- Distinguished Scholarship: Sharon K. Zumbrunn, Ph.D.
- Distinguished Service: Ross Collin, Ph.D.
- Distinguished Teaching: Serra T. De Arment, Ph.D.
- Outstanding Adjunct Faculty: Jeannine Tate, Ph.D.
- Distinguished Service: Kaprea F. Johnson, Ph.D.
- Exemplary Application of Technology in the Classroom: Kaprea F. Johnson, Ph.D.
- McLeod Faculty Development Award: Lisa Cipolletti, M.Ed.
- Outstanding Community Engagement: Genevieve Siegel-Hawley, Ph.D.
- Outstanding Mentor: Kimberly M. Bridges, Ed.L.D.
- Outstanding Professional Faculty: Angela P. Wetzel, Ph.D.
- Award of Excellence: Yaoying Xu, Ph.D.
- Outstanding Achievement: Jewel D. Worthy, Ed.S.
- Patricia Pleasant Award of Excellence: Joan B. Johnson, Ph.D.
- Emerging Leader Award: Hunter Patrick
- Emerging Leader Award: Kenedy Edmonds
- Inclusive Excellence Award: Sean Carlin, M.Ed.
- Community Impact Award*: David Naff, Ph.D.
- Distinguished Legacy Award: Danise Harmon
- Distinguished Legacy Award: Evelyn Waddell
- Exceptional Team Award*: Office of Assessment (Angela P. Wetzel, Ph.D.; David Spivey and Jamie Bittner, M.A.)
- Outstanding Contributions to Ensure Staff Recognition (Good Egg Award)*: Jewell Davis
*Denotes new award.
The following nine people, who either have or will be retiring this year, were also recognized:
- Bonita Grifa - Partnership for People with Disabilities - 9 years
- Marguerite "Gene" Miles - Partnership for People with Disabilities - 11 years
- Cynthia Hutchinson - The Literacy Institute at VCU - 14 years
- Terry Dozier - Center for Teacher Leadership - 20 years
- Barbara Driver - Department of Educational Leadership - 11 years
- Bill Muth - Department of Teaching and Learning - 16 years
- Donna Gilles - Partnership for People with Disabilities - 14 years
- Jan Tusing - Center for Teacher Leadership - 22 years
- Evelyn Waddell - Center for Teacher Leadership - 7 years
- Danise Harmon - Partnership for People with Disabilities - 34 years
Retiring faculty and staff members, as well as their colleagues, were invited to share stories or give thanks to someone specific who is retiring this year. Those sentiments are shared in the video of the recorded Zoom session below.