Online adult literacy certification program
Virginia Commonwealth University has established a six-course, graduate-level online certificate in adult literacy. The program covers foundations of literacy, adult learning theory, assessment and instruction, and curriculum design. The six three-credit courses are offered sequentially using the Blackboard online platform.
Upon successful completion of the program:
- Participants earn 18 graduate credits and a certificate from VCU.
- Participants in possession of a Virginia State teacher’s license may apply for an endorsement in adult education from the Virginia State Department of Education as defined by Virginia Licensure Regulations of School Personnel, Section 8VAC20-22-200, Adult Education.
- Participants that have completed Level One and Level Two of the Virginia Adult Education Certification Program through the Virginia Adult Learning Resource Center will earn Level Three certification.
The online format is designed to maintain a high degree of rigor while expanding accessibility to as wide an audience as possible. The program provides an extensive and intensive opportunity for practitioners to learn and apply knowledge and skills necessary to become master teachers of adult literacy learners. Throughout the program, nationally renowned leaders from the field provide systematic guidance and feedback needed for participants to reflect critically and to mature as educators in the field of adult literacy.
Courses are offered one per semester, three per year (including summer), for a total of six consecutive semesters. To be eligible, participants must possess a bachelor’s degree (not necessarily in the field of education); a teaching license is NOT required.
To help you plan your program participation, the courses in the series are:
- ADLT 601 – The Adult Learner (Spring 2018 — February 12-May 5)
- READ 602 – Teaching Literacy to Adults (Summer 2018 — exact dates TBA)
- TEDU 681 – Investigations and Trends in Teaching: Numeracy Instruction for Adult Learners (Fall 2018 — exact dates TBA)
- ADLT 607 – Writing Instruction for Adult Learners (Spring 2019 — exact date TBA)
- ADLT 614 – Curriculum Development for Adult Educators (Summer 2019 — exact date TBA)
- ADLT 608 – Adult Education Practicum (Fall 2017 — exact dates TBA)
Registration for ADLT 601 The Adult Learner open until January 29!
VCU has partnered with The Virginia Association for Adult and Continuing Education (VAACE) to offer this online program. VAACE serves as the Off Campus Registrar, and membership in VAACE is required to participate in the reduced tuition rate. Membership in VAACE includes membership in the Commission on Adult Basic Education (COABE) – a $45.00 value! Annual membership in VAACE is $30, and should be included with the first course you take in the 2017/2018 series. The cost for this 3-credit course is $825 ($810 tuition + $15 processing fee).
TO REGISTER (Non VCU employees):
Download and complete the ADLT 601 (C90) Off Campus Course Registration Form (link below) and mail with full payment of $825 ($810 tuition + $15 processing fee) to:
Virginia Association for Adult and Continuing Education (VAACE)
Attn: Ms. Betsy Mathias, Treasurer
6120 North Danford Street
Fredericksburg, VA 22407
If you are NOT yet a member of VAACE for the 2017/18 year, please also download and complete the VAACE Membership Form (link below) and mail with a separate payment of $30 to the VAACE address above.
Deadline for receipt of registration forms for ADLT 601 and payment (personal or certified check) is January 29, 2018. Payment for the course via credit card is not available at this time, but you can pay for VAACE membership using a PayPal account on the VAACE website's membership page. Registration will not be processed without accompanying full payment.
- ADLT 601 (C90) Off Campus Course Registration Form [PDF] (signature required)
- VAACE Printable Membership Form [PDF]
TO REGISTER (VCU full-time faculty and classified staff only):
- Download and complete the Tuition Waiver Application and Fact Sheet Form [DOC] (signatures required). Submit to the address indicated on the form.
- Register for the class using your eServices account. The course is ADLT601 Adult Learning & Development, CRN 37848, Section C91.
Contact us today
Jenna Lenhardt, Ph.D.
William R. Muth, Ph.D.
Associate professor and program coordinator, adult and adolescent literacy
Teaching and Learning
Interim manager, VALRC, and assistant program coordinator
Teaching and Learning