The late Dr. John A. Van de Walle, one of the most renowned mathematics educators in the country, established this endowed scholarship in 2002. Van de Walle spent most of his career at the VCU School of Education, where he taught mathematics education to pre-service and in-service teachers for 29 years.
- Demonstrated financial need
- Demonstrated excellent academic achievement
- Displayed a strong interest in mathematics education
- Must be enrolled in the early and elementary education concentration of the the M.T. program, though students in theMaster of Interdisciplinary Studies K-8 mathematics specialist program who are not recipients of National Science Foundation funding are also eligible to apply
- Preference given to those with a specific interest in elementary mathematics education