Jose Alcaine, Ph.D.
Director of Research Services, Office of Research and Faculty Development
- Ph.D. in public policy and administration, Virginia Commonwealth University
- M.B.A. in business administration, Tulane University
- B.S. in business administration, Louisiana State University
Dr. Jose Alcaine’s research interests include higher education policy, university administration, university leadership, college access and funding, and how universities interact with their surrounding communities as agents of economic, social and regional development. These interests stem from the belief that universities continue to be indispensable positive change agents in their communities and in society at large.
- Tulane University Staff Excellence Award, 2004
- VCU Pride Ambassador Award Nominee, 2009
- President, VCU Staff Senate, 2010-2011
- President, Society of Research Administrators-Virginia Chapter, 2010-2011
- Past president, Pi Alpha Alpha (PAA) VCU Chapter, National Honor Society for Public Affairs and Administration
- Graduate of the VCU Grace E. Harris Leadership Institute's Leadership Development Program, 2014
- Received VCU's School of Education Outstanding Professional Faculty Award, 2017
Dr. Jose Alcaine currently serves as the director of research services and as an affiliate assistant professor within the Department of Foundations of Education for the School of Education.
Alcaine brings extensive experience in higher education and research administration to include both pre-award and post-award administration to his role as research coordinator in the VCU School of Education. He is involved in the school's research development, proposal preparation and submission, and in faculty and graduate student professional development programming.
Alcaine previously worked for the VCU Office of Research, where he gained wide-ranging experience and institutional knowledge of VCU activities and research efforts. Before coming to VCU, Alcaine gained extensive experience in higher education and research administration at Tulane University in his hometown of New Orleans, where he worked in support of academic, research and clinical faculty as well as doctoral fellows in the School of Medicine.
Alcaine holds a Ph.D. in public policy and administration from VCU’s Wilder School of Government and Public Affairs. He also holds the designation of Certified Research Administrator (CRA) granted by the Research Administrators Certification Council (RACC), a national accrediting body in the field.
Alcaine is active in service to SOE and VCU through leadership positions in committees and other campus groups. He is also active in professional organizations and societies including Pi Alpha Alpha (PAA) Public Affairs National Honor Society, American Society for Public Administration (ASPA), Association for Public Policy Analysis and Management (APPAM), and Society of Research Administrators International (SRA).