Current students

In order to qualify for a scholarship, students must be enrolled in a degree-seeking program for the upcoming fall semester. Most of the scholarships listed require a standard application packet, including a general application, two recommendation letters, a typed essay and transcripts. However, application requirements for some of the scholarships ask for a replacement essay or some other change, so please read the criteria for each scholarship carefully.

A standard application packet for scholarship requires one original and two copies of the following documents:

  • School of Education scholarship application
  • Two letters of recommendation, submitted via our online reference form – reference forms used for admission to graduate school are not accepted. One reference must be a faculty member from either the VCU School of Education or a previously-attended university.
  • Typed essay (see application instructions for more details)
  • Transcripts

Completed applications and required attachments should be submitted to the School of Education Scholarship Committee, School of Education Dean’s Office, Oliver Hall, Room 2090., except for SCHEV tuition scholarships, graduate assistantships and graduate fellowships, which should be should be sent or taken to the Office of Doctoral Studies, Oliver Hall Room 2087.

Other sources of support

Graduate assistantships

The VCU Graduate School and the School of Education offer competitive, merit-based graduate assistantships to support doctoral students and enrich their learning, research and teaching experiences.

To apply for a graduate assistantship, please fill out our graduate assistantship application [DOC].

Graduate studies fellowships

The School of Education’s Office of Graduate Studies administers funds made available through the School of Graduate Studies Fellowship program. A graduate fellow receives full tuition and fees, plus a stipend. The fellowship awards in the School of Education are only available to full-time doctoral students. Interested applicants should contact the Office of Graduate Studies in Oliver Hall, Room 4064B.

Student employment

The School of Education provides hourly wage employment for undergraduate and graduate students. Pay is based on the federal minimum wage standards, but can vary depending on job requirements or the skill and experience levels of the student applicant. Positions available range from office receptionist to research assistant. In most cases, the supervisor will work with the student employee to arrange a schedule that will allow for a reasonable course load during the day. For current openings, please contact the respective department chair.

Grant-funded graduate assistantships

At times, the School of Education has graduate assistantships available through grant funding. A graduate assistant usually receives money toward tuition and fees, and a stipend, in exchange for work. To apply for these positions, students should contact the department chairs or the grant’s principal investigator.

Funding and innovative program opportunities for graduate students

Additionally, The School of Education also offers funding and innovative program opportunities for graduate students