Whitney S. Newcomb, Ph.D.
Professor and Department Chair, Educational Leadership
- Ph.D. in educational leadership — administration and supervision, University of Virginia
- M.Ed. in educational administration and supervision, Virginia Commonwealth University
- B.S. in psychology and early childhood education, James Madison University
Leadership for social justice and equity, ethical dimensions of leadership, women in leadership, leadership preparation and mentoring
- Received the VCU School of Education Distinguished Teaching Award in 2012
- Received the VCU School of Education Distinguished Scholarship Award in 2011
- Won the 2011 Emerald Literati Network’s Outstanding Special Journal Issue for guest editing the “Globalization: Expanding horizons in women’s leadership” article published in the Journal of Educational Administration
- Earned the 2011 AERA LSJ SIG Social Justice Teaching Award for work that represents exemplary commitment to teaching that promotes social justice, equity, diversity and inclusion in the field of educational administration
- Khalifa, M., Osanloo, A., Witherspoon Arnold, N., & Newcomb, W. S. (2015). Culturally responsive school-parent relations: The role of parent advocacy and voice. Kappan.
- Newcomb, W. S., & Niemeyer, A. (2014). African American women principals: Heeding the call to serve as conduits for transforming urban school communities. International Journal for Qualitative Studies in Education.
- Newcomb, W. S., & Mansfield, K. C. (2014). Women interrupting, disrupting, and revolutionizing educational policy and practice. Educational Leadership for Social Justice Series, Information Age Publishing.
- Newcomb, W. S. (2014). Continuing to disrupt the status quo: Young and new women professors of educational leadership. New Directions in Educational Leadership: Innovations in Research, Teaching and Learning Series, Information Age Publishing.
Dr. Whitney S. Newcomb, professor and department chair in the Department of Educational Leadership, teaches courses on social justice and equity in leadership, ethical leadership, school communication and instructional leadership for the School of Education.
Newcomb is the author of more than 50 published journal articles and book chapters, the author of three published books and monographs, and has presented at numerous local, national and international conferences.
She has served on the editorial boards of Educational Administration Quarterly and the Journal for Research on Leadership Education, and is currently serving on the board of the Journal of School Leadership. Newcomb is also a co-editor for a book series on educational leadership for social justice published by Information Age.