Robin R. Hurst, Ed.D.
Associate Professor, Educational Leadership
- Ed.D. in human and organizational learning, George Washington University
- M.A. in human resource development, George Washington University
- B.A. in geography, University of Mary Washington
Organizational culture development, organizational identity, change strategies, action learning in graduate education, study abroad experiences in graduate education
- Coordinator of the M.Ed. in adult learning program, coordinator of the Ph.D. in education program’s urban services leadership track
- More than 20 years of experience as a practitioner in human resource management and human resource development
- More than 10 years of experience working in multinational corporations
- Hurst, R. & Pattath, P. (2019). Organizational identity in acculturation in cross-border acquisitions: Implications for HRD practitioners in global M&A. Human Resource Development International, 22(1), pp. 44-67. Published on-line 06 July, 2018.
- Hurst, R. (2014). The role of organizational culture in crossborder acquisitions: A look at the process of acculturation. Organizational Cultures: An International Journal, 13(3), pp. 67-80.
- Hurst, R. (2013). HRD’s role in cross-border acquisition acculturation: A case study of U.S. and Indian organizational culture and the impact on acculturation. Special Issue: Human Resource Management (European), 13(6), pp. 49-66.
- Hurst, R. & Szabla, D. (2010). Acculturation in cross-border acquisitions: A theoretical framework for dissecting the process. International Journal of Knowledge, Culture, and Change Management, 9(12), pp. 147-166.
- Hurst, R. & Marquardt, M. (2019). Action learning, past, present, and future. In Skerrit, O.Z, & Wood, L. (Eds.), Action Learning and Action Research: Genres and Approaches. Emerald Publications: London, UK.
- Hurst, R., Tucker-Lloyd, J., & Miller, J. (2017). Raising the bar: Moving evaluation of training from the classroom into the business. In Frasard and Prasuhn (Eds.), Handbook of Research on Training Evaluation in the Modern Workforce. IGI Global: Hershey, PA.
- Hurst, R. (2016). Study abroad in graduate adult learning curriculum: Enhancing learning through the lived-experience. In Rhoads and Milby (Eds.), Advancing Teacher Education and Curriculum Development through Study Abroad Programs. IGI Global: Hershey, PA.
Dr. Robin Hurst comes to VCU after a 20-year career in human resource development and human resource management in both international and domestic organizations. She has provided consulting services and training and development to a variety of Fortune 500 organizations, including Altria, Genworth Financial, MeadWestvaco, Rolls-Royce and Tredegar Corporation.
In addition to being published in several international journals, Hurst has presented her work at the American Association for Adult and Continuing Education, the Academy of Human Resource Development, the University Forum for Human Resource Development Research and the International Conference on Knowledge, Culture and Change in Organizations.
(804) 828-1305 [main number for Department of Teaching and Learning]