Chi-Ning Chang, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor, Foundations of Education
- Ph.D. in Educational Psychology (Research, Measurement, and Statistics), Texas A&M University
- M.Ed. in Education (Sociology of Education), National Taiwan Normal University
- B.Ed. in Education (Curriculum and Instruction), National Pingtung University of Education
Quantitative Methods, Mentoring in Higher Education, STEM Graduate Education, STEM Motivation, Educational Measurement, and Program Evaluation
- Principal Investigator for the NSF COVID-19 RAPID project (NSF-DGE-2031069; 2020-2022): Electronic Mentoring to Address Challenges in Engineering Graduate Programs During the COVID-19 Pandemic.
- Distinguished Honor Graduate Award (2020), College of Education and Human Development, Texas A&M University.
- Emerging Scholar Award (2015), College of Education and Human Development, Texas A&M University.
- Chang, C.N., & Kwok, O. (2022). Partitioning variance for a within-level predictor in multilevel models. Structural Equation Modeling: A Multidisciplinary Journal. https://doi.org/10.1080/10705511.2022.2051175
- Chang, C.N., Chien, H.Y., & Malagon-Palacios, L. (2022). College reopening and community spread of COVID-19 in the United States. Public Health, 204, 70-75. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.puhe.2022.01.001
- Chang, C.N., Patterson, C.A., Vanderford, N.L., & Evans, T.M. (2021). Modeling individual development plans, mentoring support, and career preparedness relationships among Doctor of Philosophy (Ph. D.) trainees in the life sciences. F1000Research, 10(626), 1-10. https://doi.org/10.12688/f1000research.53705.2
- Saw, G.K., Chang. C.N., & Lin, S. (2022). Gender disparities in remote teaching readiness and mental health problems among university faculty during the COVID-19 pandemic. Educational and Developmental Psychologist, 1-11. https://doi.org/10.1080/20590776.2022.2108697
- Zimmer, W.K., Chang, C.N., Semma, B.M., & Fowler, D. (2022). Developing graduate writing habits and skills: establishing writing sessions with STEM graduate students. College Teaching, 70(2), 133-144. https://doi.org/10.1080/87567555.2021.1909524
- Xie, L., Chang, C.N., & Singh, S. (2021). Emotional intelligence, voice and flow: a team-level study of work teams. Team Performance Management: An International Journal, 27(7/8), 524-539. https://doi.org/10.1108/TPM-12-2020-0110
- Hutchison, J., Li, Z., Chang, C.N., Hiripitiyage, Y., Wittman, M., & Sturm, B. (2022). Improving correlation of wastewater SARS-CoV-2 gene copy numbers with COVID-19 public health cases using readily available biomarkers. FEMS Microbes, 3, 1-8. https://doi.org/10.1093/femsmc/xtac010
- Gagne, J.R., Barker, K., Chang, C.N., Nwadinobi, O.K., & Kwok, O.M. (2021). A multi-theoretical and multi-method family study approach to preschool inhibitory control: links to working memory, receptive vocabulary, behavioral maladjustment, and parent mental health in the context of temperament and executive functioning perspectives. Frontiers in Psychology, 12(703606), 1-13. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyg.2021.703606
Dr. Chi-Ning (Nick) Chang is an Assistant Professor in the Research, Assessment & Evaluation Ph.D. Concentration at the Department of Foundations of Education at Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU). He teaches courses in educational measurement and other quantitative methods. He enjoys working with students to give them extra support and help them succeed in quantitative courses and research.
Chang’s research centers on quantitative methods, mentoring in higher Education, STEM graduate education, STEM motivation, educational measurement, and program evaluation. His expertise focuses on multilevel structural equation modeling to address data dependency and measurement error issues in social science. His scholarship has been published in Structural Equation Modeling: A Multidisciplinary Journal, Educational Researcher, Public Health, Educational and Developmental Psychologist, Infant and Child Development, Hispanic Journal of Behavioral Sciences, Frontier in Psychology, Studies in Graduate and Postdoctoral Education, and so on.
Before joining the VCU faculty, Chang was an Assistant Research Professor in the Research Design and Analysis unit at Life Span Institute at the University of Kansas (KU). He was a PI on the NSF COVID-19 RAPID project (NSF-DGE-2031069; 2020-2022). The research investigated how mentoring in higher education could support student academic, career, and mental health outcomes during the COVID-19 pandemic. He also provided KU faculty and students with professional support in data analysis, grant proposal preparation, quantitative method training, power analysis, research design, data collection, and program evaluation.
(804) 828-3738 [main number for Department of Foundations of Education]