Student Services Center
The Student Services Center provides support for students in Virginia educational licensure programs across VCU. Services we offer include:
- Advising for students in extended teacher preparation, post-baccalaureate and special education programs prior to formal admission to graduate programs
- Processing of applications for admission to teacher preparation programs
- Processing of applications for clinical placements for practica, student teaching, internships, externships and state licensure
- Assigning faculty advisers
- Entering, retrieving and managing data to document student progress through licensure programs
- Serving as a repository of information on comprehensive examinations, application and forms for academic transactions, admission to teacher preparation, licensure and clinical experiences
There are several different applications for externship/internship so make sure you are submitting the correct one for your program. Applications are available on the forms site. Student teaching applications for Fall semester are due by February 1. Student teaching applications for Spring semester are due by September 1. Please contact us if you have questions about what forms to submit by what deadline.
- Praxis II in the content area
- VCLA (Virginia Communication and Literacy Assessment)
- TB results (must be negative)
- Child Abuse Certificate - on-line assessment
- First Aid, CPR & AED hands-on training documentation
- RVE – Reading for Virginia Educators (for Elementary and Special Education ONLY)
- Dyslexia Awareness Training Module
There is a difference between requirements for teaching PreK as compared to teaching from 6th-12th grade. Current students can schedule an advising appointment with our staff by emailing SOESSC@vcu.edu or calling (804) 827-2670. Our office hours are from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday.
For future students, please feel free to use the contact information below.
Contact Our Staff
Contact June Jones for early/elementary education advising, secondary education advising, post-baccalaureate advising, clinical placements and licensure.