Carol Schall, Ph.D.
Assoc. Professor | Prin. Investigator, VA Autism Rsrc. Ctr. | Co-Dir., VCU Autism Ctr. for Education
- Ph.D. in Education, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, Virginia, 2003
- M.Ed. in School and Counseling Psychology, 1987, James Madison University, 1987
- B.S. in Special Education, Duquesne University, 1982
- Effect of a 9-Month Internship Intervention for Military Dependents with ASD granted by the Congressionally Directed Medical Research Program (CDMRP) through the Department of Defense (DoD) Autism Research Program, W81XWH-15-ARP-CTA Award # FP00000902, $1,200,000 across 4 years from 2016 to 2020.
Role: Co-Principal Investigator
Role in Preparation: Author
- The Virginia Autism Resource Center granted by The Virginia General Assembly granted to Grafton School, Inc. on-going, 1982–present
- The VCU Autism Center for Excellence, granted by the Virginia Department of Education to Virginia Commonwealth University, School of Education, Special Education and Disability Policy (1.1 million, 2011 to present)
Role in Project: Director of Technical Assistance
Role in Preparation: Co-Author
- White, S., Schall, C., Delos Santos, J., Maddox, B. B., Hillier, A., Klinger, L., & Pugliese, C. (2023). Promoting quality of life: Suggestions for mental healthcare providers working with young autistic adults. Autism in Adulthood. Advance online publication. https://doi.org/10.1089/aut.2022.0106
- Avellone, L., Traylor, T., Palko, S., Wehman, P., Brooke, V., Ham, W., Lewis, K., & Schall, C. (In press). A Preliminary Investigation of a Model for Training Public School Practitioners in Positive Behavioral Technologies for Students with Autism Spectrum Disorder. Focus on Autism and Other Developmental Disabilities.
- Schall, C., Avellone, L., Wehman, P., & Brooke, V. (2023). Employment interventions for individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities: A delphi study of stakeholder perspectives. Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities. Advance online publication, http://aaidd.org/publications/journals/articles-accepted-for-publication
- Ham, W., Schall, C., & Avellone, L. (2023). A scoping review of the competencies and training of employment specialists supporting individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities. Inclusion, 10(4), 297-313. https://doi.org/10.1352/2326-6988-10.4.297
- Avellone, L., Taylor, J., Ham, W., Schall, C., Wehman, P., Brooke, V., & Strauser, D. (2023). A Scoping Review on Internship Programs and Employment Outcomes for Youth and Young Adults With Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities. Rehabilitation Counselors and Educators Journal, 12(1). https://doi.org/10.52017/001c.38785
- Wehman, P., Schall, C., Avellone, L., McDonough, J., Whittenburg, H., Dubois, T., & Broda, M. (2022). Effects of a 9-Month Military-Base Internship on the Competitive Integrated Employment of Military Dependent and Connected Youth with ASD _ Enhanced Reader. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10803-022-05634-8
- Whittenburg, H. N., McDonough, J., Schall, C., Dubois, T., Vitullo, V., & Wehman, P. (2023). Impact of COVID-19 on the employment of transition-aged military dependent or connected autistic youth. Career Development and Transition for Exceptional Individuals. Advance online publication. https://doi.org/10.1177/21651434231186351
- Taylor, J., Avellone, L, Brooke, V., Wehman, P., Inge, K., Schall, C., & Iwanaga, K. (2022). The impact of competitive integrated employment on economic, psychological, and physical health outcomes for individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities, Journal of Applied Research in Intellectual Disabilities, 35, 448-459. https://doi.org/10.1111/jar.12974
- Whittenburg, H. N., Xu, Y., Thoma, C. A., Schall, C, & Ham, W. (2023). Effects of behavioral skills training with video modeling and in situ training on workplace conversational skills of students with autism. Focus on Autism and Other Developmental Disabilities, 38(3), 188-198. https://doi.org/10.1177/10883576221127971
Dr. Carol Schall is the Co-Director of the Virginia Commonwealth University Autism Center for Education, the principal investigator of the Virginia Autism Resource Center, and the researcher in the grant, The Effect of a 9-month Internship Intervention for Military Dependents with ASD. She has more than 40 years of experience supporting adolescents and adults with ASD as a teacher, group home supervisor, administrator, researcher and consultant. Dr. Schall provided positive behavior support consultation and instructional technical assistance for the Project SEARCH Plus ASD Supports program for the past 15 years at Virginia Commonwealth University (VCU). Dr. Schall was also the research coordinator for this project.
Her research interests include the transition from school to work and adulthood for youth and young adults with autism, intellectual, and developmental disabilities, and training for parents and professionals to serve individuals with developmental disabilities.