B.S. Ed. in Health and Physical Education
The B.S.Ed. in Health and Physical Education prepares undergraduate students to serve as licensed health and physical education teachers in PK-12 schools, and to serve as educators and leaders in schools and community-based settings. The Health and Physical Education program curriculum is innovative and unique and will allow for students to engage in experiential learning opportunities that build upon the content knowledge and skills necessary to successfully implement national and state health and physical education standards. Students can combine their passion for health, student success and education in a program that will prepare them to be successful in a variety of learning environments.
Upon completion of the program, graduates will be prepared to work in public and private elementary, middle and high schools across the Commonwealth of Virginia, with particular focus in urban and high-need areas. The health and physical education program consist of rigorous coursework that is built upon the most current and relevant research and provides field experiences that will enable graduates to be leaders in the profession.
- Certifications built-in to degree requirements:
Biking | Archery | Fishing | USTA (Tennis)
*These certifications allow graduates to teach this content in schools and makes them eligible for equipment if the school district does not have the appropriate items.
- Experience and coursework in Adventure and Outdoor Education
- Eligible for license to teach PK-12th grade Health & Physical Education in Virginia upon successful completion of program
- Fulfill mission to mold critically reflective practitioners through:
- Subject matter knowledge
- Pedagogical knowledge
- Data-driven knowledge
- Knowledge about how people learn
- Knowledge of differing cultures
- Knowledge of social context of schooling
- Mentoring opportunities through alumni and experienced faculty
- Hands-on and field-based experience throughout the curriculum
- Curriculum focused on acquisition of knowledge, skills and dispositions necessary to develop physically literate individuals in PK-12th grade settings
VCU BULLETIN INFO
How to apply: Choose your application type (transfer, freshman, or international)
Semester of entry: Fall, spring
Application deadlines for transfers: Fall, Mar. 15 (preferred); spring, Nov. 1. Rolling admissions all year for all terms.
Application deadlines for freshmen: Fall, Nov. 1 (scholarship consideration), Jan. 18 (regular decision - deadline extended); spring, Nov. 1.
- Freshman requirements
- Transfer requirements
- International students
- Common application (freshmen)/VCU application (transfer applicants)
FOR MORE IN-DEPTH INFO
Health and Physical Education Licensure Professional Organizations
The School of Education (SOE) degree programs that lead to professional licensure are designed to prepare students to meet the requirements for professional licensure in the Commonwealth of Virginia as outlined by the Virginia Department of Education (VDOE). The SOE has determined that the curriculum includes applicable educational prerequisites for the following professional licensure(s) and/or certification(s) as outlined on this page of our website.
Contact Jada Wright if you are a prospective student.