Post-master's Certificate in Educational Leadership
The post-master's certificate in educational leadership program prepares graduates to successfully lead educational organizations and transform schools. Coursework can be completed in as little as three semesters and is designed to develop your leadership potential as a school or district level administrator, supervisor, superintendent, or other leadership role.
The 21 credit-hour program* is for individuals who have obtained an accredited master’s degree and active, renewable educator license and have at least two years of experience in an instructional personnel position that requires licensure in Virginia. Individuals who successfully complete the program are eligible for endorsement as an administrator/supervisor K-12.
- Online and face-to-face options
- Rigorous field-based learning experiences
- Award-winning faculty and experienced professors of practice
- Administrator/supervisor K-12 Virginia State endorsement
- Opportunities to practice skills leaders need to improve schools, especially high-needs schools
- Tailored internship opportunities
*Please keep in mind exact course requirements may vary so consult your adviser or the program coordinator with any questions.
CONCENTRATIONS/VCU BULLETIN INFO
- VCU Graduate School requirements
- Master’s degree in the field of education or a master’s degree that meets the requirements to hold a teaching position
- Active teacher license
- At least two years of experience in a school setting, which must be in a licensed instructional personnel position
- Statement of Intent that answers the following questions:
— This is a program focusing on leadership. What are your reasons for applying to this program and what are the goals you will strive to achieve?
— What evidence do you have you are an effective educator?
— Describe a situation when you were asked to solve a problem. What did you do? What was the outcome? What did you learn?
— There are numerous reform movements in education. Choose one you are either for or against and explain why.
FOR MORE IN-DEPTH INFO
The School of Education (SOE) degree programs that lead to professional licensure are designed to prepare students to meet the requirements for professional licensure in the Commonwealth of Virginia as outlined by the Virginia Department of Education (VDOE). The SOE has determined that the curriculum includes applicable educational prerequisites for the following professional licensure(s) and/or certification(s) as outlined on this page of our website.