Ph.D. in Education, Concentration in Educational Leadership, Policy and Justice
The educational leadership, policy and justice concentration is designed to cultivate educational scholars and leaders who will advance scholarship, policy and practice related to equity and social justice.
Drawing on an interdisciplinary study of leadership and policy, the program promotes an understanding of the many societal and organizational impediments to equal educational opportunity.
This concentration is directed not only toward identifying and analyzing those injustices, but also toward imagining, researching and creating more equitable, inclusive schools and societies through leadership and policy. The dissertation is a rigorous culminating tool for research, advocacy and change within educational organizations and endeavors. Graduates will be prepared to lead for equity in K-12 organizations, higher education, research and policy think tanks or local, state and federal policymaking institutions.
The Ph.D. in education, concentration in educational leadership, policy and justice requires a minimum of 48 total graduate credit hours:
Please keep in mind, however, that the exact course requirements may vary depending on when you matriculated into the program, so please consult your adviser or the program coordinator with any additional questions.
VCU BULLETIN INFO
- General admission requirements of the VCU Graduate School
- Master’s degree in an appropriate discipline
- Three letters of recommendation addressing the student’s potential for graduate study in education
- Statement of intent
- Satisfactory scores on the GRE
- Transcripts of all previous college work
- A personal interview and additional writing sample (may be requested)
- Professional vitae/resume
FOR MORE IN-DEPTH INFO
- Jonathan D. Becker, J.D., Ph.D.
- Risha R. Berry, Ph.D.
- Kimberly M. Bridges, Ed.L.D.
- Andrene J. Castro, Ph.D.
- Kevin L. Clay, Ph.D.
- Dwayne Ray Cormier, Ph.D.
- Tomika L. Ferguson, Ph.D.
- Whitney S. Newcomb, Ph.D.
- Jesse Senechal, Ph.D.
- Charol Shakeshaft, Ph.D.
- Genevieve Siegel-Hawley, Ph.D.
- Jeffery L. Wilson, Ph.D.
Alternate contact email for this program: SOEinfo@vcu.edu