Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee
The Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Committee is a joint faculty, staff and student-led committee consisting of representatives from various School of Education departments and centers. We are committed to inclusion and equity through research activities and best practices. Continued exposure and access to opportunities to explore issues of race, social justice, and equity are of utmost importance. The Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Committee seeks to set a school-wide goal of a Whole School Transformation, which includes a plan of action to positively influence curriculum, dialogue and community engagement and resources in the School of Education, with a particular focus on creating equitable and inclusive learning environments for students and working environments for faculty and staff. Please see this page of our current initiatives and activities.
The work of the Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Committee in the School of Education is centered around three key core areas:
- Community Engagement/Resource Development
Our yearly plans include programming and training opportunities for faculty, staff students and community members that respond specifically to the SOE Strategic Plan, theme IV, Diversity Driving Excellence. The four goals of Theme IV:
- Remediate implicit bias within VCU SOE to build a diverse and inclusive community among faculty, staff, students and community partners;
- Increase the number of historically underrepresented minority faculty in VCU SOE;
- Increase the number of historically underrepresented minority students in VCU SOE;
- Produce graduates who are prepared for success and impact in schools and communities serving historically marginalized individuals.
If you have any questions about the committee, partnering with our DEI work, or want to learn more about resources to support your individual research or practice, please contact our co-chairs.