Education Alumni Council
The School of Education Alumni Council has historically focused on providing leadership, services, and activities for alumni and the larger university. The council is organized to:
- Advance the cause of education
- Stimulate and maintain professional relationships between the School of Education and its alumni
- Promote an awareness, understanding and support of the School’s goals, progress, and needs
- Embrace the larger purposes of the VCU alumni organization
Education Alumni Council Mission
To advance the VCU School of Education by connecting current and future alumni through meaningful opportunities that strengthen the School and the greater University community.
Education Alumni Council Goals
- Engage current and future alumni, both professionally and personally.
- Foster a culture of sharing time, talent and resources.
- Contribute to a spirit of community among current and future alumni.
A Letter from the President:
Dear Fellow Alumni,
As we all know, the Virginia Commonwealth University School of Education is not only a top-rated public school of education and a powerhouse of transformation for the local area, but is primarily a vibrant community of educators, researchers, leaders, and counselors. That community does not stop at the doors of Oliver Hall. We, the alumni, are the mission of the school in action. As president of the Education Alumni Council, I am privileged to invite you to stay connected with this community.
Recently relaunched and refocused, the Education Alumni Council is enthusiastically pursuing opportunities for alumni to:
- Engage with current School of Education students
- Provide and receive professional development
- Connect with other alumni
- Provide service to the school and to our local communities
- And so much more
These efforts, for alumni and by alumni, are elevated by all of those who participate. Do you have a heart for helping students develop as professionals or for connecting with other educators and counselors? Do you want to play a role in helping all of our neighbors move forward together? Are you looking for new opportunities to learn and grow? Do you have great ideas for supporting and enriching the School of Education community? Then I encourage you to keep in touch with the Education Alumni Council and consider attending, planning, or volunteering for a future program.
Yours in service,
Jared Crist, M.Ed. '18
President, School of Education Alumni Council
Coffee and Conversations
A series of engaging sessions for SOE students. Here's an example of a previous session featuring Dr. Brian Maltby.
- Jared Crist (B.A. ’14, M.Ed. '18), president
- Andrew P. Daire, dean
- Edward G. Kardos, executive director of development
- Jasmine Carter, alumni and student engagement coordinator
- Jose Alcaine (Ph.D. '16)
- Jenn Arce (BIS '13, M.T. '13)
- Julia Bailey (M.Ed. '19)
- Kevin Bruny (M.Ed. '91)
- Jared Crist (B.A. '14, M.Ed. '18)
- Anthony Faina (B.S. '67, M.Ed. '69)
- Madeline Goldman (Ph.D. '18)
- Amanda Hall (B.S. '06, Ph.D. '18)
- Lisa Jordan (B.A. '95, M.T. '95, M.A. '10)
- Robin Liesfield (M.Ed. '85)
- Robert C. Lowerre (M.T. '95, Ph.D. '10)
- Brian A. Maltby (BFA '99, M.Ed. '07, Ed.D. '14)
- Sarah Marrs (Ph.D. '16)
- Joan Pellegrini (Ph.D. '08)
- Elizabeth Roberson (M.Ed. '76, Ph.D. '10)
- Jacqueline Roberts (B.S. '78, M.Ed. '80)
- Antoinette Rogers (M.Ed. '99, Ph.D. '06)
- Carmen Ward (M.Ed. '01, Ph.D. '12)
- Faith Wilkerson (B.S. '03, M.Ed. '05, Ed.D. '05)
VCU Alumni representative
- Parks Smith, director of alumni volunteer programs and professional development
Interested in becoming a member of the Education Alumni Council? Complete our Google Form and a member of our team will be in touch with you.